Links to this Blog
- Anne Rice repost on Katrina
- Canon Magazine, On Wonder
- January Magazine, a fiction blog
- Streetlab/UniProject Urban mobile library in New York City
- New Pages a web directory for writers
- Teachers Pay Teachers, a catalog of Philosophy and English Language Arts resources
feeding your brain
- How to Make a Typeface Marc Ella Roy teaches folks how to make your own typeface. [The page has been deactivated. If you have access to the resource please contact me,]
- All You Need to Know About Film from a film lecture by Frank Levy
- Arts and Letters Daily culled by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- John Berger's Ways of Seeing there's a book -- check out the BBC documentary
- New York Times Online decent journalism
- The Stone New York Times Philosophy Blog
- The Philosophical Lexicon, a satirical list of neologisms appropriate to philosophy
- Basic HTML Codes some basic code for adding links, etc.
- How to Write a Critical Analysis by Timothy Quigley
- How to Write a Philosophy Paper for undergraduates in philosophy
- How to Write a Sonnet In case you forgot
- Merriam Webster Online the dictionary or thesaurus
- OneLook Dictionary Search Look up a definition or a phrase to find the word.
- OWL: Online Writing Lab A one-stop resource for grammar, style, research papers, tips and resources
- Philosophical Terms and Methods a glossary of philosophical terms and their uses
- Research and Documentation Online quick guides for MLA, Chicago, and other styles. [no longer maintained - but you can buy the book here]
- Writer's Diet Is your writing lean and mean or fat and flabby?
- Dewey Browse The web organized according to the Dewey Decimal System [no longer maintained]
- Internet Public Library the best websites culled and evaluated by librarians [no longer maintained]
- Open Directory Project a web directory maintained by web users in the spirit of open source [no longer maintained]
- Pre-Socratic Philosophers: A Subject Guide A selected list of print and electronic sources I created for the Rouquette Library at Saint Joseph Seminary College.
- Voice of the Shuttle organizes lit crit sites for English geeks
catalogs and search engines
- Scroogle Scroogle is a dead search engine - it "scraped" your identifying information from Google's servers. Too bad it is dead. I keep it on my list in the hopes that it is one day resurrected.
- TinEye reverse image search
- WolframAlpha a computational search engine for specific queries
- WorldCat a one-stop search engine of the world's library holdings
- Confessions by Augustine, bishop of Hippo -- Tolle lege!
- The New American Bible Hey, this is a decent translation if you need a biblical reference
- The Perseus Project a full-text database of ancient Greek and Latin texts
- The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman
- Rule of Benedict a 6th-century rule for monks
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy Nice. Free. Authoritative.
- Works of Kant When you need your transcendental fix (in German, and English too)
- Cake versus Pie: A Scientific Approach
- The Darwin Awards for those at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder
- The Postmodernism Generator (Or look here for a computer science generator) amusement only, not for plagiarism
- Why Nerds are Unpopular by Paul Graham
- Word Fugitives This gem from the Atlantic Monthly archive is no longer maintained, but if you want to locate ideas that have no lexical referent, this is your place