|Theodore Roosevelt, January 8, 1907, Cove Neck, Long Island, New York|
1. I loved reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr - which is when I learned that Teddy Roosevelt was Police Commissioner in New York City from 1895 to 1897. I know. Just because I read about him in a fictional novel really should not count towards his prowess as president. But. Hey. Everything I ever learned has come from reading fiction.
2. His house in Gramercy is sick. He was born there in 1858. It is now a National Park! I went there once and the National Park Ranger fellow told me how Roosevelt survived an assassination attempt.
3. The dude survived an assassination attempt. He was reading a speech in Milwaukee and was shot. The papers he had stuffed into his breast pocket saved his life - cuz they partially blocked the path of the bullet.
4. Oh. About his service as President. How good of a president was he? I know he expanded the National Park Service. :-)
5. He was somehow indirectly connected to the creation/ marketing/rise in popularity of the Teddy Bear.
6. He was the most boyish president.
|Theodore Roosevelt, Age 11, Taken in Paris, France circa 1870|
7. And he was a New Yorker. The first President born and raised in the Empire State.
Happy President's Day! Who is your favorite president and why?